phoebe publishes poetry, fiction, nonfiction, and visual art. Above all, we seek to publish quality writing. Please review website publications, especially our latest online issue, for an idea of the caliber of writing we publish.
We produce a print issue in fall/winter and an online issue in spring/summer. We’re generally open for submissions from late summer to early fall for the print issue and from mid-winter to early spring for the online issue. The online issue is comprised of the winners (and possibly several honorable mentions) of our annual contests in fiction, poetry, and nonfiction.
Fiction, Poetry, and Nonfiction
- We only accept submissions via our online submission portal, Submittable, linked below.
- We do not consider previously published work.
- We do not have a strict word limit for prose; however, work over 4,000 words will need to be extraordinary.
- Regarding flash prose, we are happy to accept up to three pieces of less than 1,000 words each. Please paste these together in a single document and submit them via the standard fiction or nonfiction portal.
- Poetry submissions should contain 3-5 pieces.
- We welcome multiple submissions, but each should follow the guidelines above.
- We allow and encourage simultaneous submissions. If your submission is no longer available for publication, please use our online submission portal to withdraw it as soon as possible. If you need to withdraw a single poem or piece of flash prose, please add a note to your submission and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We strive to respond to submissions within 30 days. If you have not heard from us in 60 days, feel free to inquire about the status of your submission.
- If you’ve submitted to phoebe in the past, or if you’ve been published in our journal before, you are welcome to submit your work again.
- Contributors to the print editions receive two copies of the journal upon publication, along with our gratitude and respect.